Bruce Cryer is an accomplished writer, singer, dancer, actor, business executive, coach and mentor. For more than 35 years he has been involved in creating programs, products and services that can change the world by transforming health and well-being and fostering healthy sustainable workplaces.
Dano from DevDevice welcomes Mr. Bruce Cryer, the founder of Renaissance Human, to their podcast episode. In this engaging conversation, Bruce shares his experiences and insights on embracing creativity and personal growth. From his relocation from New York City to Austin, Texas, to his transformative journey with HeartMath and the development of the Renaissance Human course, Bruce's story is one of resilience, self-discovery, and the power of creativity.
About Bruce Cryer
Bruce Cryer is a renowned figure in the fields of spirituality, personal growth, and creativity. With a diverse background as a performer, CEO, and transformational coach, Bruce has dedicated his life to helping individuals rediscover their creative potential and live authentically. He is the founder of Renaissance Human, a platform that offers courses, coaching, and resources for individuals seeking to awaken their creative energy.
Connect with Bruce Cryer:
An Artistic Oasis
Bruce explains that his move from New York City to Austin, Texas was influenced by the city's artistic and progressive nature. The presence of major companies like Tesla, Apple, Facebook, and Google further attracted him. Additionally, having friends who moved to Austin during the pandemic piqued his curiosity about the city. However, despite his appreciation for Austin, Bruce expresses his desire to be closer to his daughter in California, as it still feels like home to him.
Building the Integrative Health Institute
Bruce also discusses his work at a US university, where he contributes to the development of an Integrative Health Institute. This role allows him to help build a comprehensive system focused on enhancing well-being, reducing stress, and improving cognitive and immune function. While Austin presents interesting opportunities, Bruce sees it as a temporary home and plans to eventually return to California.
A Journey of Health Challenges and Rediscovery
Bruce shares that the term "Renaissance Human" came to him during a challenging period of severe health issues, including bladder cancer, staph infections, and arthritis. Amidst these struggles, he underwent double hip replacement surgery, coinciding with his mother's passing and the end of his marriage. These experiences led him to step away from his CEO role at HeartMath and transition into an advisory role.
HeartMath: A Path to Well-Being and Creativity
Even after stepping down as CEO of HeartMath, Bruce continued to consult, teach, and coach HeartMath techniques. HeartMath, a non-profit research institute in California, focuses on developing simple yet powerful techniques to reduce stress, enhance well-being, and improve cognitive function, memory, and immune function. With over 400 peer-reviewed studies and publications in major medical journals, HeartMath gained credibility. Bruce's tenure as CEO lasted for 11 years before he ventured into new areas of his life.
The Renaissance Human: Rediscovering Creativity
Bruce's journey of rediscovering his creative talents began with a desire to sing again, which eventually extended to dancing. His voice was in excellent condition, and he found joy in reconnecting with his creative side. Friends referred to him as a "renaissance man" due to his journey of overcoming life-threatening conditions and rediscovering his creative abilities. Inspired by this, Bruce contemplated writing a book and found the term "Renaissance Human" to be a fitting title.
Awakening the Creative Spark in Everyone
The term "Renaissance Human" resonated positively not only with millennials but with people of all ages. Bruce realized that everyone possesses inherent creativity, irrespective of their generation. Many individuals, particularly from the boomer generation, perceive themselves as lacking creativity compared to others in their family. However, Bruce's journey showed him that creativity exists within everyone, waiting to be reawakened.
Shifting from Victim Mode to Creative Mode
Bruce emphasizes the importance of tapping into creative energy and taking personal responsibility for one's life. Those in victim mode tend to blame others and feel helpless, while those in creative mode actively shape their.
Embracing Vulnerability and Growth
Bruce acknowledges the vulnerability that comes with embracing creativity. It requires stepping out of our comfort zones, confronting our fears, and being open to failure. He shares his own experiences of feeling vulnerable when he first started singing and dancing again. However, through vulnerability, he discovered immense growth and a newfound sense of purpose.
The Power of Play and Exploration
Playfulness and exploration are key elements in the creative process. Bruce emphasizes the importance of creating a safe space where people can freely express themselves without judgment. Through playful experimentation and exploration, individuals can tap into their innate creativity and unlock hidden talents. By engaging in activities that bring joy and curiosity, we open ourselves up to new possibilities and endless growth.
Finding Inspiration in Nature
Nature serves as a powerful source of inspiration for creativity and personal growth. Bruce highlights the significance of spending time in nature, whether it's going for walks, hiking, or simply observing the beauty of the natural world. Nature has a way of grounding us, sparking our imagination, and connecting us to something greater than ourselves. It invites us to slow down, reflect, and find inspiration in the simplicity and complexity of the natural environment.
Cultivating a Supportive Community
Building a supportive community plays a vital role in nurturing creativity and personal growth. Bruce emphasizes the importance of surrounding ourselves with like-minded individuals who uplift and inspire us. By engaging with a diverse range of perspectives and talents, we expand our own horizons and learn from one another. A supportive community provides encouragement, feedback, and a sense of belonging, fostering an environment where creativity can flourish.
Embracing Imperfection and Iteration
Creativity is not about achieving perfection; it's about embracing imperfection and allowing room for growth. Bruce highlights the value of embracing the iterative process, where ideas evolve, and projects take shape over time. It's through this willingness to iterate and refine that true creative breakthroughs can occur. Embracing imperfection allows us to overcome the fear of failure and empowers us to keep exploring, learning, and evolving.
All human beings were born with the power to create life. - Bruce Cryer
The Renaissance Human Course: Unlocking Your Creative Potential
Bruce concludes the conversation by sharing his latest project, the Renaissance Human course. This online program is designed to guide individuals on a transformative journey of self-discovery, creativity, and personal growth. Through a combination of experiential exercises, guided meditations, and interactive modules, participants are empowered to awaken their creative potential and embrace a renaissance mindset in all aspects of their lives.
- Everyone possesses inherent creativity: Bruce emphasizes that all human beings have the power to create in their own unique way. By tapping into our creative energy, we can shape our experiences and live more fulfilled lives.
- Catalysts for creative transformation: Bruce identifies mindfulness, movement, nature, and playfulness as key catalysts for reawakening creativity. These elements, along with other practices, help individuals tap into their creative potential and gain confidence in expressing themselves.
- Heart coherence and positive emotions: Bruce introduces the concept of heart coherence, which involves regulating our breath and practicing positive emotions. By achieving heart coherence, we can bring order and serenity to our lives, navigate challenges, and enhance overall well-being.
- What is Bruce Cryer known for? Bruce Cryer is renowned for his expertise in spirituality, personal growth, and creativity. He has made significant contributions to these fields through his work as a performer, CEO, and transformational coach.
- What is Renaissance Human, and what does it offer? Renaissance Human, founded by Bruce Cryer, is a platform that provides courses, coaching, and resources for individuals who want to tap into their creative potential. It offers guidance and support to help people awaken their creative energy and live more authentically.
- What kind of courses does Renaissance Human offer? Renaissance Human offers a range of courses that focus on different aspects of personal growth, spirituality, and creativity. These courses are designed to help individuals unlock their creative potential, cultivate self-awareness, and develop the skills necessary for personal transformation.
- Can anyone benefit from Bruce Cryer's teachings and resources? Yes, Bruce Cryer's teachings and resources are designed to benefit individuals from various backgrounds and walks of life. Whether you're a professional seeking personal growth or someone interested in exploring your creative potential, his work can provide valuable insights and guidance.
- How does HeartMath emphasize the importance of breath and positive emotions? HeartMath techniques involve conscious breathing to harmonize the rhythm of the heart and practicing positive emotions to achieve heart coherence and reduce stress.
In a world that often values specialization and conformity, Bruce Cryer's journey reminds us of the power of embracing our inherent creativity and seeking personal growth. By emphasizing conscious breathing, HeartMath techniques aim to harmonize the heart's rhythm, reduce stress, and promote overall well-being. The practice of positive emotions, such as gratitude and appreciation, enables individuals to achieve heart coherence, gain control over their emotions, and enhance cognitive function.
By shifting from victim mode to creative mode, embracing vulnerability, and surrounding ourselves with a supportive community, we can tap into our limitless potential. Let us all embark on our own journeys of self-discovery, creativity, and personal growth, embracing our inner Renaissance Human along the way.